Wednesday, November 25, 2015

Advertise with us

Early morning fire damages Longview home

From Staff Reports
Oct. 29, 2013 at 5:56 a.m.

A fire early Tuesday caused significant heat and smoke damage to a house in the 1200 block of Tulane Avenue in Longview.

Firefighters arrived at the house shortly after 4 a.m and found fire coming from the living room area of the house, Fire Marshal Johnny Zackary said.

"The resident had already exited the house and was not harmed by the fire," he said.

"Just before the fire, the resident had entered the living room turning on a lamp, which resulted in the bulb popping," Zackary said. "After replacing the bulb and when it still did not work, she checked the breaker." he said.

After two attempts, the breaker held. When the resident went back to the living room, the drapes and an area near the wall plug were on fire.

"The smoke alarm did sound, according to the resident," Zackary said.

Fire crews determined the cause of the fire was related to the electrical components of the house.

"As a measure of safety, anytime a breaker will not reset with one attempt, it is advisable to unplug any appliances and devices, leave the breaker off, then have a certified electrician provide a service inspection of the electrical wiring and related components," he said. A breaker is a safety device of the electrical system and indicates overloads and other circuitry issues by "tripping."



Powered By AdvocateDigitalMedia