Sunday, July 05, 2015




Advertise with us

Firefighters respond to morning fire at Kilgore apartment complex

By Melissa Greene mgreene@news-journal.com
Sept. 4, 2013 at 3:47 a.m.


KILGORE - A morning fire at an apartment complex in Kilgore was most likely caused by electrical issues, Battalion Chief Dennis Gage said at the scene.

"The breaker box panel is right above where the dryer is, and it just went right up into the attic," he said.

The fire was contained to one second-floor unit at Glen Hollow Apartments on Danville Road. No injuries were reported.

Michael and Tori Nabors and their two sons live next door and said they awoke to a strange odor.

"We decided we needed to get the boys out and thought we'd just go grab breakfast at McDonald's," Michael Nabors said as he watched firefighters douse flames. "I came out here, looked up and said, 'Boys, go get your mother; there's a fire.' "

Nabors called 911 and the family began knocking on their neighbors' doors.

Candido and Anna Garcia live on the other side of the affected apartment with her infant son, Gabriel.

Anna said they heard knocking on their door at exactly 7 a.m.

"My husband came running back in and said, 'Get up, there's a fire,'" she said, while holding her son in the parking lot at the complex.

Firefighters used the city's ladder truck to access the roof, where smoke was seen coming from a ventilation fan.

The fire was extinguished and residents were able to return to their apartments by 8:30 a.m.

There is no word yet on the extent or dollar amount of damage.

<iframe style="display: block; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto;" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/v2csfJyVVv4?list=UUj1q5d-0L75aKp32a9WwNOw" frameborder="0" width="560" height="315"></iframe>

SHARE

Comments

Powered By AdvocateDigitalMedia