Flooding, Green Street underpass, 1997
May 14, 2015 at 4:29 p.m.
Updated May 14, 2015 at 4:29 p.m.
With all the recent rain, it seemed fitting to dig up a past picture of some flooding in Longview.
This #ThrowbackThursday we found from July 1997 shows as “Motorists splash their way through water standing under the Green Street railroad bridge at the intersection with Nelson Street,” according to caption information on the picture.
The Green Street underpass was one of ten flood-prone roads, city and county officials recently told the News-Journal. Here are the others:
- South High Street railroad underpass
- Judson Road at Guthrie Creek
- South Loop 281 at Guthrie Creek
- Estes Parkway at Iron Bridge Creek
- Sam Page Road southeast water crossing
- Maxey Acres off Shoreline Drive
- South Fuller Road near Maddox Road
- Old Highway 135
- West Point Road at creek crossing
What are other areas around Longview and Gregg County are likely to flood in heavy rain?
Enjoying our #tbt pictures? Don’t forget to check back next Thursday for another visual walk down memory lane as we take a tour through our archives and join the #ThrowbackThursday social media trend.