QUESTION: We were coming down the Spur the other day and noticed right where you get to the intersection of South Street and you go straight and you turn left and you go down the Spur — they’ve got the signs wrong. South Street has the Spur 63 sign on it, and Spur 63 has south Street on it. I wanted to call and let you know about it and see if you could maybe get it changed?

ANSWER: That intersection has a lot going on, and I’ll admit to driving through it a number of times and really confusing myself. Thankfully, the city’s public works director, Rolin McPhee, helped me figure it out.

So, first, we’re talking about the intersection where Texas 31 comes into Longview from the south and forks off to the right to follow South Street or to the left to Spur 63, with both options controlled by traffic signals. From Spur 63, drivers have the option of merging onto Texas 31 to the right or following South Street to the left through a traffic signal. Drivers heading from downtown on South Street are controlled by a traffic signal as they head straight on Texas 31, or they can merge onto Spur 63 to the right.

It’s an intersection full of curves and traffic signals.

That makes it easy to forget that the road name signs we see on traffic signal arms are actually for the street we’re crossing. They do not indicate the street we’re on. (That’s the reminder that McPhee provided me.) Look around while you’re driving around town and you’ll see it’s true. (Or just use the little “yellow man” tool on Google maps to virtually navigate around town.) After I talked to McPhee about this, I realized that’s also really true of regular street signs positioned at intersections: The signs are positioned so that drivers see the name of the road they’re crossing, not the road on which they’re driving.

So when Texas 31 enters Longview, and you see the traffic signal arm to the right says “ Spur 63,” that really means that you’re crossing over Spur 63 as you head down South Street, for instance.

It’s easy to get confused, though, in this intersection because of all the curves and traffic signals at various angles directing people through those curves.

Q: Thank you for the information on where to take glass for recycling. I have burned out light bulbs (NOT the ones that contain mercury) and dead batteries. Where can I take those?

A: We have extremely limited options locally for recycling light bulbs. I have discovered that Batteries Plus Bulbs on Loop 281 in Longview accepts 14 kinds of light bulbs for recycling as well as batteries, including incandescent and compact fluorescent light bulbs (the kind with a little mercury in them). There might be a small fee associated with recycling batteries and bulbs there, depending on the type and amount of bulbs or batteries you’re recycling. Home Depot also will accept CFL bulbs (the ones with mercury). Otherwise, light bulbs just have to go in the trash. Other stores with “battery” in their name typically accept batteries for recycling as well.

The city of Longview and Keep Longview Beautiful have a great recycling opportunity coming up. Longview Green and Clean is 8 a.m. to noon April 13 in the Lear Park softball parking lot at 100 H.G. Mosley Blvd.

No light bulbs are accepted during this event, but a number of other items are, including batteries. The event is open to people who live outside the city of Longview, except that only people who can show a city of Longview water bill may participate in electronics and tire recycling.

Here’s a list of what will be accepted that day:

  • Electronics (city of Longview water bill required; limited to one TV/CRT/monitor)Tires (city of Longview water bill required)
  • Batteries
  • Mixed Recycling (Paper, plastic and metal)
  • Glass
  • Eye glasses
  • Motor Oil
  • Antifreeze
  • Paper ShreddingVolunteer groups also may sign up to help pick up litter and participate in beautification efforts around the city that day. For information, email or call (903) 212-4KLB (4552).

Q: Who is responsible for cleaning up the broken glass after an automobile wreck?

A: There are local and state laws that basically say the person who removes a vehicle after a wreck is responsible for the cleanup.

Longview Police spokesman Lt. Shane McCarter previously told me that usually means that job falls to the wrecker service. He has said that people who see debris left on the road after a wreck can call the police department’s non-emergency number to report it at (903) 237-1199. Then, officers can assess what needs to be done.

— Answer Line appears Thursday and Saturday. Email questions to, leave a message at (903) 232-7208 or write to P.O. Box 1792, Longview, TX 75606.