Monday, October 23, 2017

Advertise with us

Gregg County residents with housing-related wildfire damage now eligible for FEMA aid

From Staff Reports
Sept. 19, 2011 at 6:08 a.m.

Gregg County residents who suffered housing-related damages from recent wildfires can now register for assistance through the Federal Emergency Management Agency.

FEMA sent crews to Northeast Texas after five counties were added to a Domestic Assistance Declaration this past Friday. The other four are in the Houston area.

"It applies to homeowners, people that rent or businesses," FEMA spokesman Bill Lehman said. "The critical thing to pass on to people is that ... FEMA assistance covers people who are uninsured or under-insured."

The assistance includes reimbursement for hotels or other temporary housing, repairs to homes and items that are not covered under insurance policies. The assistance does not apply to property damage other than to residences, Lehman said.

The five counties added to the declaration Friday join six others in the Bastrop County area.

"They are still doing what we call assessments," Lehman said. "There could be additional counties that will be added."

Residents can register for assistance online at <a href= ""></a>, via smart phone at or by calling 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) or (TTY) 1-800-462-7585. Specialists are available by phone from 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. seven days a week. 



Powered By AdvocateDigitalMedia