Saturday, January 20, 2018

Advertise with us

Longview police: Kidnapping tied to death

By Richard Yeakley
June 10, 2015 at 4 a.m.

A kidnapping that ended when the bound and bloodied victim managed to escape the trunk of a moving car in Carthage might be tied to the shooting death last month of a Longview woman.

Police said Tuesday they were looking for four suspects in the late March kidnapping of Quentin Brown, who may have been set up for abduction by Kareshia Jones.

Jones, 30, later was found shot to death at a home in the 900 block of 15th Street in Longview.

The March 26 kidnapping and its connection to the May 20 shooting death came to light this week after police received permission to search a cellphone found at the scene of the kidnapping.

According to an affidavit for the search warrant filed in Gregg County Court at Law No. 1, the abduction occurred after Brown went to a home in the 2000 block of Hoffman Avenue in response to an invitation from Jones.

Brown told police that once he was at Jones' house, he got a drink, used the bathroom and went to a bedroom.

When he entered the room, he said, one man came up behind him and told him not to move. Three other men came from the bedroom closet, one with a hammer. The four men beat Brown, he told police.

Brown said the assailants first taped his feet together, but he struggled free. They then zip-tied his feet and zip-tied his hands behind his back, cut his pants and took his car keys and wallet.

Brown said the suspects carried him to the carport, put him inside the trunk of his own car and began driving.

"During the ride in the trunk of his car, Brown was able to use his teeth to pull the trunk release latch several times, but each time, the suspects would stop the car, assault him again and close the trunk," investigators wrote in the affidavit.

On his third attempt to get away, Brown said, he opened the trunk and dove from the car onto the asphalt roadway. He began to yell and was found a short time later by a sergeant of the Carthage Police Department.

The sergeant, who was on patrol, said he saw a large object lying in the center of the slow lane of traffic 30 feet from the intersection of Sabine and Forsythe streets in Carthage.

Brown was taken to a hospital, where he talked to officers about what he said had happened, according to the affidavit.

The cellphone that officers sought was found in the bedroom of the house where Brown told police he was assaulted. Interviewed in March by officers investigating the kidnapping, Jones said it belonged to neither her nor her son.

Longview police spokeswoman Debra Stiles said Tuesday the department still was investigating the kidnapping.

"We don't have an exact suspect yet, and we are working with multiple agencies," she said.

Regarding Jones, police said late last month that they still were looking for solid leads into her shooting death, as well. It was the eighth this year in the city.

Neighbors near the scene told police they heard loud voices coming from the residence, followed by multiple gunshots.



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia