Candidates line up for Longview council seats as area municipal filing begins
Jan. 20, 2016 at 9:05 a.m.
Updated Jan. 20, 2016 at 7:10 p.m.
An incumbent and city government veteran signed up to run for seats early Wednesday on the Longview City Council as filing began for East Texas municipal races.
David Wright is running for re-election for his District 5 seat after having served the unexpired term of Richard Manley, who ran in this psat year’s Longview mayoral race.
“I thought we just did this?” Wright joked with city staffers Wednesday morning, adding that he learned a lot during his abbreviated term and hopes voters will entrust him with another.
Manley did not file to run, but said Wednesday that he has “not ruled out” joining the race.
“I’m keeping my options open,” he said.
The last day to file is Feb. 19, and Election Day is May 7.
Karen Maines filed to run in District 6 to fill the vacancy that will be left by Councilman Sidney Allen because of term limits.
Maines is a member of the Comprehensive Plan Advisory Committee and a former member of the city’s Planning and Zoning Commission.
“I believe that I’m the best candidate to represent the people of District 6 and the city of Longview,” she said. “I hope to make that case to the voters in the coming days.”
Today is the first day to file for a place on the May 7 ballot; Feb. 19 is the last day to sign up for city office. Candidates must file in person at city hall.
- No candidates have filed in Kilgore for open places 1, 3, and 4. Those seats are held by Merlyn Holmes, Neil Barr and Lori Weatherford.
- In Gladewater, incumbent Mayor Harold Wells filed for re-election to Place 1, and Larry Seery filed for Place 2. Places 1, 2, and 3 are open, held by Harold Wells, Leon Watson, Lana Niemann. Place 1 in Gladewater is also the mayor.
- Gilmer’s districts 1 and 4 are open, including one at-large seat. Place 4 incumbent Brenda Jeffrey is the only candidate to file so far, according to city staffers. Gilmer’s District 1 seat is held by William Hornsby, with Michael Chevalier in the at-large seat.
- White Oak has two at-large council position open held by Greg Hulett and Jerry Blankenship. Officials said no candidates had filed as of late-afternoon Wednesday.
- Hallsville has three at-large city alderman positions open held by Eric Anderson, Dan Herrington and Charlie Hunt. Officials there also said no candidates had filed as of late-afternoon Wednesday.