Friday, January 19, 2018

Advertise with us

Answer Line: Work starts soon on roads at Grace Hill Cemetery

Dec. 8, 2017 at 11:31 p.m.

QUESTION: Grace Hill Cemetery is city-owned. A few years ago, part of the roads were improved through the cemetery. Today, some are once again needing repair. There are pot holes in some areas. Can improvements at the cemetery be made?

ANSWER: Yes, they can. The city's public works office already was aware of the situation there, said Assistant Public Works Director Dwayne Archer.

"We will soon begin another round of repairs," he told me. "Weather has a lot to do with when we can begin repairs, but, with that said, we expect to start within the next two weeks."

Q: If you work a Sunday when time changes, are employers required to pay you that extra hour?

A: The U.S. Department of Labor addresses this issue on its web site, and the answer is yes, if you're talking about the day we "fall back," and a person is working when that time change happens.

Employees who work the graveyard shift when Daylight Savings Time begins actually work one hour less than what their schedule shows because clocks are set forward an hour. Those same employees work an extra hour when Daylight Savings Time ends, because the clocks are set back an hour.

The Department of Labor uses the example of someone whose eight-hour shift starts at 11 p.m. and ends at 7:30 with a 30-minute lunch break.

"On the Sunday that Daylight Savings Time starts at 2 a.m., the employee does not work the hour from 2 a.m. to 3 a.m. because at 2 a.m. all of the clocks are turned forward to 3 a.m. Thus, on this day the employee only worked seven hours, even though the schedule was for eight hours," the web site says. "On the Sunday that Daylight Savings Time ends at 2 a.m., the employee works the hour from 1 a.m. to 2 a.m. twice because at 2 a.m. all of the clocks are turned back to 1 a.m. Thus, on this day the employee worked nine hours, even though the schedule only reflected eight hours.

"The (Fair Labor Standards Act) requires that employees must be credited with all of the hours actually worked."

Employees who find their company isn't doing this could start by talking to their employer. If that doesn't work, seek additional information or file a complaint by contacting the Department of Labor's Wage and Hour District Office in Arlington at (817) 861-2150.

Q: What's the difference between an FM road and a county road?

A: An FM road, which stands for Farm-to-Market, is generally found in rural areas and is part of the state-maintained road system.

County roads also are generally found in rural areas, but they are not part of the state highway system, similar to city streets. They are maintained by county in which the road is found.

In the News-Journal, specific county roads are referred to as CRs and Farm-to-Market roads as FMs.

— Answer Line appears Thursday and Saturday. Email questions to, leave a message at (903) 232-7208 or write to P.O. Box 1792, Longview, TX 75606.



Powered By AffectDigitalMedia