Stepping Into Spring: Expert Skincare Tips
March 28, 2017 at 9:55 a.m.
Updated March 28, 2017 at 9:55 a.m.
Finally, spring is upon us! Sadly for many, there's a downside: Spring brings allergens, and allergens can wreak havoc on the skin, often causing rashes or blemishes. The winter may also have left you with skin that's become dry and flaky. Transition into a spring regimen and ensure you're always looking your best!
Cleansing And Toning
- Start with lighter, water-based cleansers and toners. If you’re using a moisturizing facial wash, consider a clarifying formula. With its warmth and sunshine, spring tends to stimulate natural oil production. Heavy, cream-based products may well cause problems.
- Follow up with a gentle exfoliation. 'Gentle' is the keyword. Using a harsh exfoliating scrub that contains ingredients such as walnut shells or apricot pits can cause microscopic tears in the skin that can ultimately make dry winter skin look and feel much worse.
- Cleansers and exfoliants containing alpha and beta hydroxy acids gently, yet effectively polish away dullness and excess dead skin cells.
Treating and Repairing Winter-Dried Skin
Dry, flaky skin should be treated with high performance ingredients after exfoliation.
Mexican blue agave leaf extract works deep within the skin’s surface, restoring the ability to attract and retain water. Also, a botanical blend of watermelon, apple, and lentil provides the building blocks of your skin’s own natural moisturizing factor to help reduce dryness, flakiness and rough patches.
Vitamin C improves skin’s radiance while ectoin and green tea extract help skin resist drastic environmental stresses.
Treating and Repairing Spring-Induced Acne Breakouts
If you’re suffering from acne breakouts, damage-control will be in order.
- Spot Treatment. Products great for acne are those with willow bark extract, witch hazel, or tea tree extract. You can also look for products that contain salicylic acid or benzoyl peroxide.
- Overall Regimen. If spot treatments don’t work for you, you may want to try a serum containing the same ingredients. Using toners or serums that have these ingredients should sort out your acne problem.
- The Basics:
- Don't touch your face with unwashed hands.
- Clean makeup tools regularly.
- If you react to the allergens, grab an allergen remedy before you get trapped in a cycle of discomfort. There are numerous products on the market that can soothe allergies fast.
Hydrate and Protect
Drinking water throughout the day not only helps keep your skin clear, it also facilitates overall health. As for the topical hydration and protection, if you're drawn to the outdoors, apply a good sunblock with moisturizing properties to shield your skin from the sun’s damaging UV rays.
In summary, keep your skin clean, apply gentle exfoliation, stay hydrated, and find the products that suit your skin type. There is no one-size-fits-all for spring skin care, but if you keep these simple tips in mind you should be all set for spring and summer. If you are still needing guidance with your skin care routine, consult with a licensed esthetician.
Prepare your skin for Spring with a visit to your local Massage Envy of Longview, located at 3088 N Eastman Rd, Ste. 100, in the Target Shopping Center or call us at 903-663-2600 to schedule your appointment today. Our licensed, professional staff is always here to provide expert advice and attention that will help you provide the perfect skincare routine for you.