Special to the News Messenger
MARSHALL — A 17-year-old has been arrested in connection to threatening phone calls placed last week to Marshall ISD.
After calls to both Marshall High School and the district administration building on Oct. 3 and Friday, lockdowns were enforced at all campus buildings and schools.
The district police department arrested Quincy Earl McCollister Jr. of Marshall on Wednesday and charged him with two counts of making a false alarm or report, emergency, which is punishable as a state jail felony. The charge is a felony because the false report involved “a public or private institution of higher education or ... a public primary or secondary school.”
The arrest was made after an investigation into a series of phone calls made to the high school and the Marshall ISD administration building on the morning of Oct. 3. The calls forced district officials to place all district facilities on lockdown status for more than two hours.
A second series of calls was made to both MHS and the administration building on Friday, prompting a second districtwide lockdown for about 45 minutes.
Marshall ISD Police led the investigation, with assistance from the Marshall Police Department. Marshall ISD police officers were stationed at MHS during Thursday’s lockdown, with MPD officers covering other schools and district facilities over the course of the two days.
“The cooperation of our police department with Marshall PD was outstanding,” said Marshall ISD Superintendent Jerry Gibson after Friday’s events.
“The safety and security of our students is our No. 1 priority,” Gibson said. “In today’s climate, we cannot take any threats lightly, and the decision to go on lockdown at all of our campuses is one that we do not take lightly, either. But I would rather make that decision than risk the safety of any of our students or our staff who protect them. Our staff responded in a professional way during the course of last week’s events, and I am confident that at no time were our students in danger.”
Gibson last week said the district will seek to prosecute “to the fullest extent of the law” anyone found to be responsible for last week’s calls.