Kilgore ISD campuses will be closed Friday due to increasing student absences.
The district said in a statement Thursday afternoon that all campuses will be closed for students on Friday and will reopen on Tuesday after the Martin Luther King Jr. Day holiday.
The closure “will give staff members additional time to disinfect campuses in an effort to help address this current spike in absences,” according to the district’s statement.
Coaches and sponsors of student extracurricular groups will contact students with additional details about activities outside of class.
“KISD acknowledges that this will create hardships for some families and we thank our community for its patience as we continue to deal with these COVID related issues,” the district said.
Kilgore ISD is one of many districts throughout Northeast Texas that have closed or are closing for a time due to increased absences, illness or the widespread omicron variant of COVID-19, although no Longview school districts are among them.
In the region, the below districts have announced closures. If you know of a district that should be added to the list, please email us at email@example.com.
- Chapel Hill ISD (Mt. Pleasant) — Closed Jan. 12-14; will reopen Jan. 18
- Elysian Fields Elementary School — Closed Jan. 12-18; will reopen Jan. 19
- Gary ISD — Closed Jan. 11-14; will reopen Jan. 17
- Harleton ISD — Closed Jan. 13-14; will reopen Jan. 18
- Harts Bluff ISD — Closed Jan. 12-14; will reopen Jan. 18
- Murchison ISD — Closed Jan. 13-14; Will reopen Jan. 18
- Overton ISD — Closed Jan. 13-14 ; will reopen Jan. 18
- Pewitt CISD — Closed Jan. 11-14 will reopen Jan. 18
- Promise Academy (Tyler) — Closed Jan. 11-14; will reopen Jan. 18
- Trinidad ISD - Closed Jan. 13-14; Will reopen Jan. 18
- Zavalla ISD - Closed Jan. 13-14; will reopen Jan. 18