A former Kilgore High School student has been arrested in connection with social media threats made this week against that campus and Longview High School.

“Everyone can rest easy as the suspect is at (the police department),” Kilgore Police Chief Todd Hunter said in a Facebook post Friday night. “I will not give out a lot of details, but we wanted everyone to know the threat has been stopped.”

Hunter said the suspect is an adult male but added that his name will not be released until he has been formally charged and arraigned.

The arrest came after the threats on the messaging app Snapchat spurred Longview and Kilgore police investigations and caused concerned parents to lead an exodus of their students from the campuses Wednesday and Thursday.

The initial Snapchat threat investigated Wednesday at Kilgore High School displayed a photo of the high school and warned people not to show up on campus because “I’m shooting that b — — up.”

That was followed by a “vague threat” toward Longview High School on Thursday morning that Longview ISD spokeswoman Elizabeth Ross said claimed to be from a Longview High School student, although police later determined the threat was not credible.

And earlier Friday, Longview police Lt. Shane McCarter said a new threat, again on Snapchat, had been made Thursday night against Longview High students.

The Snapchat pictures that circulated Thursday were from an account named “Redneck Boi,” which was the same name associated with the account that issued the Wednesday threat toward Kilgore High School.

While Hunter’s Faceook post did not specifically say the suspect also is believed to be responsible for the Longview threats, McCarter had earlier said police believe the two cases are related.

The Longview Police Department shared Kilgore police’s Facebook post, as did Longview ISD.

“Thank you Kilgore Police Department and Longview Police Department for your diligence in solving this case,” the Longview ISD post said. “Lobo Nation is breathing a sigh of relief tonight!”

The district had increased security at the high school and at Friday night’s Lobo football game.

“This was a whirlwind investigation,” Hunter said. “Steps were taken by the suspect to conceal his true identity, but perseverance by Detective John Rowe paid off. The suspect faces multiple felonies, which we will announce on Monday. We want your children to rest easy this weekend.”

Hunter said the investigation was in coordination with Longview police, the Department of Public Safety and the FBI.

Recommended for You