The lone suspect in a New Year’s Eve 2017 shooting death in Kilgore was taken into custody in Gary, Indiana, early Tuesday.

Kilgore police Det. John Rowe confirmed that Dwight Patrick Scott was apprehended by federal authorities and is being held in a Gary jail.

Scott is wanted in the Dec. 31, 2017, shooting of Tracy Lynn Reedy. Reedy, 50, was shot several times outside of her apartment complex in Kilgore in what police said might have started as a “lovers’ quarrel,” according to a search warrant. Scott was charged in Reedy’s death.

“He has been arrested,” Rowe said of Scott, 52. Rowe received a Gregg County Sheriff’s Office tip late Monday night about Scott’s whereabouts, and Rowe forwarded the information to U.S. Marshals Office authorities, who located Scott and arrested him, he said.

When Kilgore police arrived at the scene of the shooting about 11:30 p.m. New Year’s Eve 2017, they found Reedy dead from a gunshot to the head and multiple gunshot wounds to her body. The shooter had left.

Neighbors identified Scott as Reedy’s fiance, saying “the couple had been living together in that apartment since August or September,” police said.

Witnesses said the pair had been arguing in the parking lot of the apartment complex on Meadowgreen Drive before shots were heard. Witnesses also told police that Scott had been packing his vehicle “as if he was moving out.”

Some neighbors told police they had heard noises coming from Reedy’s apartment earlier in the afternoon but believed they were being loud “because it was New Year’s Eve and gave the noises little thought.”

Family members told police the fighting could have escalated after one of Reedy’s ex-boyfriend’s called to wish her a happy new year.

“That particular phone call could have been a catalyst to the lovers’ quarrel and added motive to (Scott) shooting Reedy,” police said.

The family said Reedy talked to this ex-boyfriend nearly every day. Reedy was “in good spirits and was talking fine” when he called around 7 p.m. that night, police said.

Witnesses told police that Scott was from Chicago, where he had met Reedy, but his car had Indiana license plates.

Kilgore police late Tuesday said Scott is being held and awaiting arraignment at the Lake County Jail in Crownpoint, Indiana. Police expect him to be extradited to Texas.

Meanwhile, the Kilgore Police Department is sending detectives to Indiana to continue their investigation.

An arrest warrant for Scott, signed Jan 5, 2018, by then-Judge David Brabham of the 188th District, came with a preset bond of $1 million and a charge of murder.

Jimmy Daniell Isaac covers the city of Longview and Gregg County. Follow him on Twitter: @jimmyisaaclives.