Ryan Nichols, left, and Alex Harkrider

Though still facing a list of charges, two East Texas men who were arrested following the Jan. 6 riots at the U.S. Capitol are no longer facing one related to possession of a dangerous weapon, court documents show.

Ryan Taylor Nichols, 30, of Longview, and Alex Kirk Harkrider, 34, of Carthage, were arrested in January and were indicted Jan. 8 on several charges including unlawful possession of a dangerous weapon on Capitol grounds or buildings. The charge has been removed in a superseding indictment filed Nov. 10.

Nichols and Harkrider still face charges of civil disorder and aiding and abetting; obstruction of an official proceeding and aiding and abetting; entering and remaining in a restricted building or grounds with a deadly or dangerous weapon; disorderly and disruptive conduct in a restricted building or grounds with a deadly or dangerous weapon; disorderly conduct in a Capitol building; and parading, demonstration or picketing in a Capitol building.

According to the new document, Nichols was separately charged with assaulting, resisting or impeding certain officer using a dangerous weapon as well as an act of physical violence on the Capitol grounds or buildings.

Harkrider was charged with theft of government property on suspicion of taking a table leg from the Capitol that was later found in his home, the document shows.

Harkrider was armed with a tomahawk ax and Nichols with a crowbar and pepper spray, according to documents in the case.

On Jan. 22, a federal judge ruled Harkrider and Nichols would be held without bond until trial to assure “safety of the community” and because of a “serious risk that the defendant will flee.”

Judge Thomas Hogan in April ordered Harkrider be released on house arrest with electronic monitoring, pending trial. He has been granted several changes to his terms of release, including the removal of an ankle monitor and being allowed to travel to Louisiana twice to volunteer with Hurricane Ida relief.

At the beginning of the month, Nichols’ attorney Joseph D. McBride of New York filed a motion for modification of bail and asked the court to release Nichols on his own recognizance ahead of trial. A hearing was set Dec. 20 at which Nichols would appear via Zoom. On Nov. 9, McBride filed a notice of COVID-19 vaccination stating that Nichols received his first dose of Moderna on Nov. 3 and will receive a second dose Dec. 2. He requested Nochols be allowed to attend the Dec. 20 hearing in person rather than through Zoom since he will be fully vaccinated.

In the request for release, Nichols denies each charge against him.

Recommended for You

Courtney Stern is a public safety reporter covering a wide range of topics. She grew up in Baltimore and later earned a journalism degree from the University of Miami. Stern moved to East Texas from Iowa with her husband and two dogs, Pebbles and Bam Bam.