UPDATE: A chase following a shooting early Monday at a Gilmer convenience store ended with a suspect and an Upshur County Sheriff’s deputy injured in gunfire.

At about 1:40 a.m. Monday, Gilmer police and Upshur County deputies responded to the CEFCO store at the intersection of U.S. 271 and Texas 300 in Gilmer.

According to the Upshur County Sheriff’s Office, law enforcement learned that a man fired multiple rounds inside and outside of the store. Several rounds were shot in the direction of people, according to the office.

No one was reported injured at the location but there was property damage, according to the sheriff’s office.

“The reason for the suspect’s behavior at that location is being investigated,” the sheriff’s office said in a release.

Officers located the suspect vehicle traveling south on U.S. 300 toward Longview, and law enforcement pursued the vehicle.

“The chase extended into southern Upshur County and northern Gregg County,” the release said. “The suspect shot at officers during the chase.”

The man eluded capture at that point. While checking a possible address for the suspect car on Snider Road, an Upshur County deputy took gunfire to his vehicle from the area of a residence off of Green Hills Road in the county, the sheriff’s office said.

Longview Police Department, Gregg County Sheriff’s Office, Gilmer Police Department and Ore City Police Department responded to assist.

“Law Enforcement was coordinating further strategy to capture the suspect when, at approximately 5 a.m., the suspect drove up to Law Enforcement Officers that were staged nearby,” the sheriff’s office said. “The suspect began shooting at Law Enforcement personnel. Officers and Deputies returned fire.”

An Upshur County Patrol Deputy was shot during the altercation. He was treated and released from a Longview medical center, the sheriff’s department said.

“The suspect was shot and was transported to a Longview medical center where he remains at the time of this press release,” the sheriff's department said at about 12:30 p.m. Monday. “This investigation is not complete so specific charges have not yet been fully determined.”

The Texas Rangers are leading the investigation into the incident.


PREVIOUS STORY: Law enforcement are on the scene after an official says an incident early Monday led to gunfire between a suspect and officers on Snider Road in Upshur County.

Upshur County Chief Deputy David Hazel said the suspect was taken to a hospital after the incident in the Glenwood community, but he did not know the extent of the suspect’s injuries. He also said a deputy was taken to a hospital and then released.

A Gregg County Sheriff's Office SUV has blocked one end of Green Hills Road near Snider Road, and an Upshur County Sheriff's vehicle is at the other end. Yellow evidence markers are on the ground near Snider Road.

Tony and Diane Martin said they live at North Fuller Road and Walnut Road. She said the couple heard a police chase at about 2 a.m. Martin said police vehicles in the chase had their lights and sirens on, and it woke up the couple.

“There was probably anywhere between nine and 11 police cars, including a SWAT van, in high pursuit. I mean they were going down Walnut Street really, really fast.”

Matthew Ward was in the area overnight. He said at about 2 or 3 a.m., he was getting ready for bed and before heading off to sleep, he heard gunshots. 

Hearing gunshots is not too abnormal for the area, he said, but these seemed more rapid than normal. 

Then, we heard it again, maybe four or five more rounds," he said. "This time it was a lot louder like they could have been either in our yard or close to our yard, and that made me nervous."

He said they called the police and were told someone was on the loose in the area. Ward said police told them to lock the doors and turn the lights out. 

"And I said, 'Hell, no,'" he said, "Because I was afraid they were going to stumble through the woods see that little cabin and say, 'This is a nice place for us to camp out.'"

He said he, a woman and his dog turned out the lights, grabbed a shotgun and headed toward the car. They had been driving around since then. 

This is a developing story and will be updated. 

Follow Scott on Twitter @sabrunner.

Digital editor

I'm a native Hoosier who has been in East Texas since 2003. I've been a photographer, page designer, web editor and a digital editor in Longview and Marshall.