Feb. 21, 1936: A March 17 election was set to decide whether a $100,000 airport would be built in Gregg County. Unexplained was Kilgore’s last-minute action for a fight on the election after initially appearing before the Commissioners Court in support of the plan.

  • Updated

Feb. 19, 1950: The new Pinewood School, located in the Pinewood Park addition in South Longview, had a Sunday afternoon open house after its first week in operation. It had opened Monday with 225 students and eight teachers, relieving crowding in other ward schools.

Feb. 18, 1942: Longview Superintendent H.L. Foster appealed to parents to get their children to school on time in light of new War Time that saw classes starting 30 minutes earlier. The shift led to a large increase in the number of tardy students, complicating the start of schoolwork.

Feb. 17, 1943: With the motto “Food for Freedom,” the Longview Chamber of Commerce, supported by practically every civic organization in town, launched a citywide Victory Garden contest. The purpose, organizers said, was to grow food on every available square foot of ground in the city.Feb. …

Feb. 16, 1931: Reports said the Arkansas Fuel Oil Co. had authorized plans for construction of a pipeline, probably from Longview, at an estimated cost of $1 million. Information was that the line would move production from the Lathrop field and other points in that area.

Feb. 14, 1956: The school board reelected its nine white and five colored principals at a meeting conducted in the afternoon because of three service club banquets in the evening. Among those reelected was T.G. Field of the high school and Lavert Everhart of the negro high school.

Feb. 12, 1955: A $500,000 bond issue for expansion of Gregg Memorial Hospital passed in an 8-to-1 landslide. While support was overwhelming in Longview, voters in Kilgore and Gladewater were strongly opposed. Smaller majorities in Liberty City and White Oak also voted against the plan.

Feb. 11, 1939: A Works Progress Administration sanitary sewer project was to be suspended so crews could focus on a new $75,000 water works project, said City Manager Bill N. Taylor. The sanitary and storm sewer projects employed about 65 men.

Feb. 10, 1952: A strike vote began among 400 East Texas members of the Oil Workers International Union (CIO). The vote was ordered by the union’s international office in Denver.

Feb. 9, 1965: Construction of a two-story, 35-unit AstroMotel was begun at 1515 E. Marshall Ave. The project involved an investment of more than $250,000. It was the 17th in the AstroMotel organization with others in Arizona, California, Kansas and Utah. It was scheduled to open in May.

Feb. 8, 1965: Longview state Rep. John Allen introduced a bill to create the Sabine River Navigation District in Gregg, Rusk, Harrison and Panola counties. The district would have authority to build and operate canals and waterways along the Sabine.

Feb. 7, 1933: Greggton was announced as the name of the new post office serving the Willow Springs area 3 miles west of Longview. The name was chosen because another post office already was operating as Willow Springs in South Texas. The office was to be temporarily located in the Laird Hote…

Feb. 6, 1933: Texas Airways of Dallas signed a contract with L.H. Pitkin, owner of the Longview airport, to give daily airplane passenger service from Longview to Tyler and Dallas. If traffic warranted, two planes daily were to operate from Longview.

Feb. 5, 1956: Men’s Sunday School classes from across the city and area converged on First United Methodist Church for a lesson taught by Texas Secretary of State Tom Reavley. A thousand or more were expected for what was hoped to the be the largest gathering for a Sunday School class in Lon…

Feb. 4, 1965: After several weeks of site preparation and foundation construction, the first of 2,000 tons of steel destined for the $15 million Jos. Schlitz Brewing Co. plant was erected. About 125 were employed on the site, with a peak of 600 expected in September.

Feb. 3, 1933: Relief was given to more than 1,400 Gregg County families when the Salvation Army distributed sacks of Red Cross flour. All day long, lines of people stood in the street waiting to get their flour, which was furnished free by the government through the Red Cross.

Feb. 2, 1940: No interruption in mail service was foreseen as the post office moved over the weekend from temporary quarters to the new $235,000 building at Fredonia and Methvin streets. Residents would begin receiving their mail Monday at the new building, which was completed in the previous week.

Jan. 30, 1968: With an order valued at $7.17 million, the total Army Procurement contract to R.G. LeTourneau Inc.’s munitions division stood at $31.28 million. The announcement was made by U.S. Rep. Ray Roberts.

Jan. 29, 1981: Larry Starr was appointed the first judge of the newly created Gregg County Court at Law. The appointment had become a controversy between County Judge Henry Atkinson and District Attorney Rob Foster, but was settled with an opinion from the attorney general’s office that the …

Jan. 28, 1933: Facing a “ringing indictment” by state’s attorneys of the tendency among officers to be “judge, jury and executioner’ when making arrests, Texas Ranger Buck Flournoy was found guilty of aggravated assault in a case arising out of the death of a suspect. Flournoy was sentenced …

Jan. 27, 1927: A successful season for the Longview baseball club of the East Texas League was promised after “an enthusiastic meeting” of baseball fans. Bert Bivins was elected president for the coming year, while Oliver Daniels was picked vice president and John R. Hoffman as secretary.

Jan. 26, 1949: Designers of “the revolutionary new JOV-3 helicopter” displayed their machine to the public at the Gregg County airport. They were look over the airport as a possible new location for their Philadelphia-based company’s factory.

Jan. 25, 1942: Spring Hill school formally dedicated its new library building with a program sponsored by its parent-teacher association. E.G. Marshall of the state department of education deliver the principal address.Jan. 25, 1994: Acting Fire Chief Lee Fort was approved by the City Counci…

Jan. 24, 1949: The city began installation of 6-, 8- and 14-inch waterlines as it extended its water system. Lines were to be installed on portions of Green Street, in the Radio Addition, and 14-inch lines tied together city water tanks. Water and sewer lines on Harrison and Nelson streets w…

Jan. 23, 1947: Installation of the city’s long-awaited new street markers began. The signs were white with black lettering showing the name of the street and number of the block. They were on poles 7 feet above the ground. Previously, street names were designated on street curbs.

Jan. 22, 1933: Gregg County got an opportunity to grow through a lawsuit to determine jurisdiction of about 250 acres. A local surveying firm found the county line near Easton had been improperly drawn, putting the disputed territory in Rusk, when, the suit argued, it belonged to Gregg County.

Jan. 21, 1951: R.G. LeTourneau Inc. and the Department of Defense signed contracts amounting to several million dollars for manufacture of military equipment. The first phase was a $4 million order for Tournadozers, which would be manufactured entirely in Longview.

Jan. 20, 1933: L.H. Pitkin, owner of the airport 2.5 miles south of the city, reached agreement with the Chamber of Commerce to improve the field. Next steps were to accept the offer of Texas Airways Inc. to provide service and interest the city in buying and operating the field.

Jan. 19, 1933: The Longview City Commission agreed to convert the Fair Grounds area into a city park and playground. The notion was said to be enhanced by the Lions swimming pool, which had opened in the summer. The park project was evolved and planned by the Rotary Club.

Jan. 18, 2005: Murray Moore said his decision to step down as mayor of Longview with more than a year remaining on his term was a business decision, and he didn’t owe residents any further explanation. He had resigned via email Jan. 15.

Jan. 16, 1926: Boedeker Manufacturing Co. announced its purchase of the Piper Ice Cream and Candy Co. The Boedekers “have been … making certain improvements to the end that the Longview plant be identical in production of the same quality of ice cream manufactured in their Dallas plant.”

Jan. 15, 1938: Judge E.M. Bramlette announced his candidacy for the District 2 seat in the Texas Senate to represent Gregg, Rusk, Harrison and Panola counties. Bramlette served as county judge from 1916 to 1920 and was city attorney for 11 years.

Jan. 14, 1949: Gregg County wrote a new chapter in oil history when a well was presented to the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts of East Texas. All three members of the Texas Rail Commission were on hand, along with Scouting officials from the region.

Jan. 13, 1994: The City Council delayed a planned March bond election after it was learned city staff overlooked nearly $700,000 in costs on five major street projects. With business leaders supporting postponement, the council voted unanimously to delay the vote until May.

Jan. 12, 1958: Mobberly Avenue Baptist Church dedicated its new $200,000 sanctuary. The dedicatory address was given by J. Howard Williams, president of Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, and invocation was given by the Rev. W. Morris Ford of First Baptist Church.

Jan. 9, 1934: Longview pastors met to elect officers for the new year and unanimously voted to form a Gregg County Pastor’s Association and to immediately send invitations to other pastors of the county. “It was proposed that meetings be held monthly,” the Daily News reported, “preferably ar…

Jan. 8, 1930: A survey from the state health department showed Gregg County suffered 870 cases of malaria during the first 10 months of 1929. That number put it in the top three of Northeast Texas counties for the disease. Upshur County was first, with 1,358 cases; Morris County was second w…

Jan. 7, 1950: City Hall announced residents’ water and sewer bills would have a new look in February. Instead of statements in windowed envelopes, they would be mailed on a penny postcard with itemized charges for each service — and add the fee for garbage.

On Jan. 6, 1938: The Longview Lobos football queen of 1937 was crowned and players feted again at a gala celebrating the season that saw the Lobos win a Class 1A state championship. On Christmas Day, the Lobos rolled to a 19-12 victory over the Wichita Falls Coyotes at the Cotton Bowl in Dallas.

On Jan. 4, 1935, six people were facing felony charges of operating a public gambling hall after a raid on a “well known local Bank Avenue horse racing bookie.” Ten others were arrested on misdemeanor charges after a raid by the sheriff, constables and city officers. And throwing the full fo…