Teacher's: Classroom copies of The Longview News-Journal are available free for local classrooms. We have corporate sponsors and donations of vacation time subscription copies from our subscribers that underwrite the cost of producing and delivering the paper to students. Sign up to participate in the program for the current school year by contacting Josh Hart, Circulation Director.
Weekly Teacher Guides
The Longview News-Journal is proud to offer — free of charge — a new weekly interactive lesson plan in partnership with USA Weekend. New Teacher's Guides are available every Monday, complete with monthly themes highlighted in a weekly lesson and a monthly activity sheet.
Newspapers In Education Objectives:
- To educate students and cultivate future readers.
- To narrow the gap between school and the real world.
- To motivate students through challenging newspaper activities.
Newspapers In Education Provides:
- Newspapers at little or no cost.
- Classroom curriculum materials and student programs.
- Classroom newspapers.
- Provide hands-on opportunities and real life examples of how school subjects apply in today's world.
- Integrate world and local news, politics and technology into the classroom.
- Spark enthusiasm for meaningful classroom interaction.
- Cultivate continued student interest in current events, broadening the ability to learn.
- Serve as a living textbook, allowing student to witness history as it happens.
- Endure as a motivating and stimulating teaching tool.
- Create lifelong learners, more informed consumers and involved citizens. Newspapers in education mission
- Promote student literacy.
Newspapers In Education (NIE) at The Longview News-Journal is committed to building newspaper readership in an effort to create lifelong learners, informed consumers and involved citizens. NIE promotes literacy and support educational excellence by providing academically sound classroom materials, useful in-service events for teachers and quality services to educators throughout the state.
The Longview News-Journal wishes to thank these NIE sponsors. Why should your business invest in Longview/area schools through newspapers in education?
- You will provide a valuable educational resource to thousands of local students.
- Students will benefit directly from your active role in their classroom learning experiences.
- Developing an educated workforce improves our community and our economy.
- Newspaper readers become more involved with community activities and civic responsibilities.
- You will be recognized as a corporate citizen interested in quality education. How can your business join newspapers in education?
You can become a Longview News-Journal NIE Sponsor by purchasing daily newspapers for use in our community classrooms. To be a sponsor, contact: Josh Hart, Circulation Director.